Monday, December 15, 2014

The Long awaited Mockingjay has come!

*SPOILER ALERT*
This post contains an in-depth analysis of Mockingjay: Part 1 and the book itself. If you haven’t watched the movie, go watch it. I assure you its worth the ticket.

There, I’ve sufficiently warned you. You may continue at your own risk.

I’ve just seen Mocking and oh my heaven it was glorious!
Hold on a moment, I need to fangirl.
Okay, I feel better now.
Alright down to business. Now I will admit, Mockingjay wasn’t exactly my favorite book, not because it wasn’t good, but let’s be real here, Mockingjay was the proverbial Deathly Hallows of this series. People just wouldn’t stop dying. It was heartbreaking. So as you can imagine, I was weary walking into the theater, even though I’d already seen the stunning work done on Catching Fire. I have to say I enjoyed every moment. The first thing I have to say is the movie is extraordinarily well paced. Each scene I thought moved very well into the next, and I was never bored. The each scene was beautifully cut, and I personally thought the casting was superb. Coin was perfect.
(even though she’s one hell of a bitch not nice person.)
There were some differences from the book though. We all know how Katniss goes a little crazy throughout the book, and honestly who could blame her? I mean the fact she survived the first games with mild PTSD certainly shocks this fangirl. I think the fact they keep Katniss strong while still making her seem human I think was a delicate line they played off very well.
Another thing that was different was Effie Trinket.
I thought that this was also a stellar decision directing wise. Effie was brilliant, and she really helped to sell the propo team.
And oh dear lord were Cinna’s designs beautiful.
Just look at her, so badass.
When I saw I almost started crying. I hate that he’s dead. Another excellent character is President Snow. Man has Donald Sutherland official sold me on his character. I’m fairly certain that there is no one more devious than that man. That scene with the roses, oh my god I could feel the tension and fear.
Now, I know that some of you guys were quite disgruntled when it was announced Mockingjay was going to be split into two parts, but I think for once, I agree with Hollywood.
Shocker, I know especially since they butchered City of Bones and Vampire Academy, but I’ve always thought that Mockingjay would have been better off in two books anywho.
But you gotta admit, the way they ended part one was phenomenal. It really sets up the power trip Coin’s about to go on.
Man I can’t wait till she’s dead.
I think overall, I’d definitely give this movie a solid A-. It definitely kept to the original intent of the book, but I think also added enough to make this movie something that could easily stand on its own. I can’t want for part two!
We’ll Take Down the Capital!!
Right, Katniss?
Thought so.

No comments:

Post a Comment